Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Strawberries

Done planting the 150 little strawberry plants (actually 148 - I was short 2 Camarosa). Half or more of the Camarosa had multiple green stems and leaves. Most of the Chandler was still dormant looking even though I kept them all in the same conditions until planting. Hopefully they are all alive! According to something I read yesterday, if these are treated right they should produce a pint of strawberries per plant. How exciting...that's 150 pints next spring...not that I'm counting my strawberries before they hatch! What have I learned from this? Strawberries need soil that drains extremely well,they prefer slightly sandy and acidic soil, a minimum 6 hours of sunlight and you need to remove all runners and flowers up through Christmas. What have I learned this year from gardening that I can apply to the strawberries? Mulch harbors insects!!! I am going to mulch with fine chopped up composted grass to protect it over the winter, but I will rake it back as the first sign of growth. I could also put hoops and plastic over them to force and earlier fruiting, but am curious to see how they do without that. I am also curious to see what hordes of insects will attack strawberries.

No comments: