Monday, November 2, 2009

Tools of the trade

I spent this evening trying to rig up safe transportation for 28 live chickens, and this was the best I could come up with...a rubbermaid tub and an 8ft furniture box. It will do! Jess and I are leaving at 5:30 am tomorrow to transport them to Greenville for processing. I will be glad to have that over with. My sister Brooke is coming over tomorrow night and we are going to cut the chickens up and vaccuum seal them for freezing. I will be a busy day.

What a beautiful (and busy) last couple of days it his has been. The rain has finally stopped, and it has been sunny. It makes me feel as if I should hurry outside and get all the backlog of chores done before the rain starts back up!

Our weekend started Friday night when the whole family, with the exception of Nathan who had worked all day, went to see Where the Wild Things Are. It was an interesting movie and I enjoyed it.

Saturday, Paul and Nate ran a 5k in McKinney. Nate's boys cross country team is going to district next weekend and they need the practice. While they were gone, I took Jessie on a field trip with her Sunday school class to Temple Emmanuel in Dallas. Later that afternoon she had a soccer game in Sherman which her team won. We wound up the day with Halloween activities. Beth and Adam took Jessie trick or treating, she was a vet-wrapped mummy, Savannah went to a church event and a band haunted house with her best friend, and Nate stayed home and ate pizza with us.

Sunday was daylight savings, and would have been an excellent morning to sleep in BUT our doorbell rang at 5:00 am. A neighbor thought our horses were out, but they weren't ours. They live on the property behind us, but the man says they belong to the previous owner. We tracked them in the dark and called the Sheriff's office. They sent out a very nice deputy who made sure they had a place to go and weren't a danger to people driving. I got to see the sun come up!

Jessie went to Sunday School and Savannah went to church with her friend, but the rest of us spent Sunday morning at home for a change. Paul and Jessie helped me plant blackberries. Paul dug the holes, Jess drove the riding lawnmower and trailer with dirt, water and plants; and I kneeled up and down planting the rootings and watering. My back is still killing me! Then a man from Whitewright came to pick up our Dexter bull King. It was an effort to load him, because he got upset by the commotion and broke through the pen, then stuck his head under the fence and lifted two tposts totally out of the ground. We spent all lot of time running back and forth trying to contain him. It took us 1 1/2 hours, and then by sheer luck we got him into the trailer! I was really happy, because this was a much better fate than the sale yard. Paul and I finished up the evening with dinner out, and two magararitas had me totally unconcious....I was EXHAUSTED.

Today is Monday, and Jessie and I finished the last two rows of blackberries. We put in over 100 really good looking plants with lots of roots. I am going to water again on Thursday to give them a good start, and then I think we are looking at chances of rain again next Sunday or Monday. A full week looms ahead with piano lessons, a sports booster meeting, a district cross country meet and a basketball scrimmage.

No comments: