Monday, October 25, 2010

Beef order

I was very excited to get this order. I got a new 19.7 chest freezer with nifty dividers and baskets and I thought I could put the meat in it and have enough room to get a clear eye where everything was at, but no. I couldn't even fit everything in here, and so one type of cut ended up getting buried under another type of cut, and we had to add some to the smaller poultry freezer and even the stand up freezer to make it all fit.

What I noticed from my rush unpacking job was that things weren't double wrapped. Guess I neglected to request that, but it might be good thing. I can actually see what I am picking out for dinner the next day without unwrapping it. That's good because when you think you have a big piece of meat and it actually has a large bone in it, you end up shorted.

There weren't as many roasts, pikes peak, rump roast, etc. with the exception of lots of chuck roasts. I think this was because we asked for some of the roasts to be added to the hamburger patties which are great, and thicker at 3/4 of an inch a piece. There are also 210 lbs of them, which makes for 280 patties! There were also a lot of club steaks, or delmonico steaks which are supposedly good and I can't wait to try them. We also requested briskets, hangar steak, flank steak of pinwheels and skirt steak for fajitas. I've been putting together a binder of recipes I plan to test over the winter and I'm even thinking of writing a cookbook about it....what do you think of that?

To sum up the Dexter statistics: the short legged one was 780 lbs on the hoof and 495 lbs processed, that is 63.46% dress out. The long legged one was 820 lbs on the hoof and 500 lbs processed, which is 60.97% dress out. Both are VERY good, and my best to date. It looks like the short legged ones have a more efficient dress out rate, and that could be just the difference in leg bone.

The receipt break down is as follows:

Dexter 1 (short) 780 lbs live weight/495 lbs processed

Processing .55 per lb 272.25

Slaughter charge 40.00

Patties 90 lbs at .50 lb 45.00

Tenderizing cutlets 9.00

Boneless sirloin 4.00

Misc. disposal 5.00

Total 375.25

Dexter #2 (long) 820 lbs live weight.500 lbs processed

Processing .55 per lb 275.00

Slaughtering charge 40.00

Patties 130 lbs at .50 per lb 65.00

Tenderizing cutlets 9.00

Bonelss sirloin 4.00

Misc. disposal 5.00

Total 398.00

No comments: